(This post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission for purchases made through them.)
As one wise person once said, “The days are long but the years are short”.
Why you need to have more fun with your kids?
Recently I have been feeling like the “grumpy Mum”. All the time! It seems like the bulk of my parenting is about preparing meals and following up homework, and referring fights. I hear my voice reminding the kids about doing their teeth, or packing their school lunch, or picking up their dirty socks and putting them in the wash. I know part of it is the season of parenting I am in, with a 6 and 7 year old boys and a 10 1/2 year old girl. Yet it really isn’t fun!! In fact sometimes I wish I was reading a book or having coffee with a girlfriend… anything but parenting my kids!!
However I am a big believer on enjoying what I do… most of the time! I think life is too short to struggle through indefinitely. Plus, I have learnt from experience that just getting by or surviving without fun, laughter and enjoyment in my life is not good for my mental health! Hello burn out!!
And you know what? Play is not just important for our kids, it is healthy for us adults too! It is a significant way of improving our own imaginations, creativity, problem-solving abilities and emotional well-being. Yes play is an essential form of relaxation and stimulation for all ages!
So when parenting feels hard, I am reminded to purposefully choose to spend more of my time engaging in fun and playful activities with my kids. Here’s my list of ideas for how to have more fun with your kids. Some take only 5 minutes, some are whole day activities. Whatever you choose, let’s be intentional about enjoying our kids more!
50 Ways To Have More Fun With Your Kids:
- Take turns saying tongue twisters.
- Construct things from boxes.
- Plant some seeds.
- Make milkshakes.
- Jump on a trampoline.
- Climb a tree.
- Play a game of outdoor four square.
- Learn and tell each other jokes.
- Cook together.
- Play a board game.
- Visit the op shop and look for cheap treasures/ second hand books.
- Have a movie night at home.
- Sunset dinner: buy or pack a dinner and take it to the beach to watch the sunset.
- Enjoy a water park.
- Research a “how does this work” topic on YouTube.
- Look for insects or snails in the back yard.
- Make up silly songs about everyday things.
- Make and decorate biscuits or cookies.
- Build stuff with Lego.
- Play loud music and try out some crazy dance moves.
- Build a campfire and toast marshmellows.
- Paint with water.
- Read a chapter book adventure story aloud.
- Create with playdough.
- Draw and colour pictures.
- Try out funny voices.
- Take a walk around your neighbourhood.
- Have a barbecue at a local park.
- Create a treasure hunt in the house or back yard.
- Go swimming at the local pool or beach.
- Visit the local library.
- Go to the zoo.
- Play card games.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Build sand castles.
- Read a funny picture story book aloud.
- Tell funny stories.
- Make a home made movie.
- Have a pillow fight.
- Thumb-wrestle, play mercy, or have a tickle fight.
- Play hide and seek.
- Visit a local museum or history display.
- Write stories together.
- Get up early, pack breakfast, and have a sunrise breakfast.
- Go for a bush walk.
- Visit a nature playground.
- Watch an outdoor movie.
- Play a game of dodge ball.
- Make damper.
- Do some finger knitting.
What’s one of your favourite fun things to do with your kids?